With the rise of #MeToo, survivors have been able to share their stories more openly and publicly than they may have in the past. However, we recognize that some survivors are not ready to out themselves as survivors and others cannot out themselves without jeopardizing their safety. We believe every survivor deserves a space where they feel safe to share their experience – we are hoping that Unapologetically Surviving can be that space.
We thank you in advance for trusting us to share your story.
One-Time Submissions are survivor stories submitted by our readers. Our readers come from diverse backgrounds and many have experienced different forms of interpersonal violence or have supported a loved one who has experienced such violence. Read their stories here.
1. We will not post names of individuals, organizations, or institutions. We ask that they not be included. If they are included, we will redact them. In certain instances, we may use initials for any names contained in your piece.
2. We will not post any entries that threaten future harm to oneself or others. If you are struggling emotionally or having a hard time, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.
3. We encourage you to share your story in whatever way is right for you. You can submit a narrative, a poem, a short story, etc.
4. If you have photography or art that you would like to submit, please e-mail it as an attachment to email@example.com with subject line ONE-TIME SUBMISSION, FILE ATTACHED. Include any text you would like uploaded with your file. We will not share your e-mail address with third-party individuals. Please do NOT include any additional contact information.
5. By submitting your entry (or e-mailing us your entry), you are giving us permission to publish your content on our site: www.unapologeticallysurviving.com. You agree that you will not be compensated, in any way, for your content.
6. Due to volume of submissions, your submission may not be posted immediately and confirmation of receipt e-mails will not be sent. We may temporarily disable submissions without notice in order to ensure that we are able to post all the submissions we have received.
If you are interested in becoming a Resident Survivor Contributor (RSC), please fill out the form, linked above.
Jenny is our first Resident Survivor Contributor. She was sexually assaulted by a friend. Read Jenny’s story here.
Nay is our second Resident Survivor Contributor. She was raped by an individual who lived with her as a child. Read Nay’s story here.
Kristine is our third Resident Survivor Contributor. Kristine founded Voices of Hope, an organization seeking to change our culture’s view of trauma by sharing stories to not only heal ourselves, but to heal others. Read Kristine’s story here.